- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup plus ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- One 12-ounce bottle good-quality beer (I use Blue Moon wheat beer for this recipe, and it’s perfect)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the stick of butter in an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish and place it in the preheating oven just until the butter melts.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and remove six tablespoons of the melted butter. Set aside.
- Swirl the pan to distribute the remaining two tablespoons of butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, dry mustard, and smoked paprika. Sprinkle in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and whisk until blended.
- Pour the beer over the flour mixture and stir until just blended. The dough will be wet, loose, and sticky.
- Pour the dough into the buttered 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish and spread evenly.
- Pour the six tablespoons of melted butter over the top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until the middle is set and the top begins to turn golden brown.