Monday, April 29, 2013
Nutella Ring Bread Recipe
1-lb. (grapefruit-size) portion of Master Recipe
1/2 cup Nutella (hazelnut spread), softened
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sparkling or granulated sugar
1. Hold dough and dust top with flour; quickly shape into ball by stretching surface of dough around to bottom on all four sides, rotating dough a quarter turn as you go.
2. On floured surface, roll dough into 11x10-inch rectangle.
3. Microwave Nutella in small microwave-safe bowl 10 to 20 seconds or until soft and slightly melted. Spread over dough, leaving 1/4-inch border uncovered. Roll dough into log, starting at long end; pinch seam together. Gently shape log until it measures about 16 inches. Bring ends together to form about 6 1/2-inch-diameter ring; pinch ends together. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
4. Cover loosely with lightly floured plastic wrap; let stand in warm draft-free place 45 to 60 minutes or until dough is slightly puffed and no longer feels chilled.
5. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Whisk egg and water in small bowl; lightly brush over top of ring. Sprinkle with sugar. With kitchen shears, snip 1/2-inch-deep cuts 2 inches apart on top of ring.
6. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack 30 minutes to serve warm or cool completely.
Source: Zoë François and Jeff Hertzberg